Friday, February 10, 2012

Early Death Studios Ad

This early Death Studios Ad was published on the both the back covers of the October and December 1981 issues of Fangoria magazine. While these masks are certainly very different than those that have been produced by DS for the last three decades, I can't help but think the whole batch of aliens and monsters pictured in the ad would make for a killer alternate cantina scene in a movie that would take place in a galaxy far far away...


Really all the masks in the ad are significant pieces of Death Studios history, but a few that really stand out to me include Entity, which was Jeff Death's first mask...
Death Studios - "Entity" Mask
 And the Carnivore mask pictured in the ad is the predecessor to the later version that appears in the 1989 DS catalog that I am so fond of...
Death Studios - Carnivore Mask
 On a side note, it's funny how things come around full circle. This was one of the very first items I scanned to post on this blog when I started it back in the Fall of 2010. Most of the posting here is done in a fairly organic way. One thing leads to another, which leads to a search here and a save there, and another scan on another day. So, this morning when I decided to double back and look at my Death Studio scans,  I found this guy just sitting there, waiting to be posted since the very beginning. And, as I get ready to publish this post, I clearly remember why I started the blog to begin with.

1 comment:

  1. I Have this issue and Once owned the "Mad Genius" Mask in the post a couple back.... I was "lost" helping the Jaycee's Haunted house when I was a Teen...

    ReplyDelete