Thursday, February 9, 2012

1977 Don Post Catalog

The envelope showed up at my door a few days ago, and here it is fresh from the scanner. It's the first major catalog scan of 2012 here at the Blood Curdling Blog of Monster Masks... the 1977 Don Post catalog! As always, you can download a hi-res PDF of the catalog, just right click here and save.

Opening up the cover, I couldn't have been happier flipping through the pages. Right off the bat, the 800 line is there in all it's glory to greet us on page 3...

 The real beauty of these older Don Post catalogs can be found in the over-sized photos like those found here on page five showcasing the 900 line, and carrying right through the rest of the catalog.

7 comments:

  1. I have a question about the wizard of oz masks from 1977. was there also a set of those masks made in 1983?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Amy-

    I don't know the answer. The Wizard of Oz masks do not appear in the 1983 catalog. However, that doesn't mean that they weren't re-released. Your best bet for an answer is to head over to the Halloween Mask Association (www.thehma.net) and post the question on the board. Good luck and happy hunting :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ok thank you I will try that out . the reason I asked is because in a book called the wizard of oz collectors treasury they list the masks as being from 1983 but all I have ever saw were masks from 1977 and I have also saw 2 masks of the tinman that both say 1977 on them but their mounths are made differently. So that was very odd.

      Delete
    2. I tried the site you sent me too and it said Sorry, registration has been disabled by the administrator. I am not a member so I cant post

      Delete
  3. Hi Amy-

    I asked around and found out that the Don Post Wizard of Oz masks were still in production as of 1985-86.

    It's certainly possible that the Tin man was re-tooled through the years.

    Also, long time Don Post Studios sculptress Pat Newman sculpted a set of the Wizard of Oz characters for the Hollywood Movieland Wax museum.

    I'm not sure if the book mentions these or not, but I know the individual who has the molds for these and I can put you in touch with him if you're interested in obtaining copies of them.

    Hope this helps a bit :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. hi i recently came into possesion of a 1977 don post wolfman mask , i have found out that they are kinda rare and i was wondering if anyone could help me try to put a value on it . its in very good condition.please ehlp.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Anonymous-

      Feel free to email me through my website:

      www.devils-workshop.com

      Delete